Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Retracing familiar steps

I'm a blog stalker. Though it sounds creepy, it's a fairly mundane hobby where I visit blogs of my friends and then visit blogs of their friends... and so on. Over the years, I have some blogs that I like to visit regularly because I find their perspectives interesting or just plan entertaining. Also, there is a strange sense of comfort in knowing what other people my age, ostensibly similar to me are thinking. And of course there is the thrill of  of being the witness to someone's life without ever really knowing her/ him - just like in a novel that never ends.

Today I realized that I haven't done this in a while and followed the familiar trail over to some of the blogs. While it was nice going back and picking up the threads of their life where I had stopped reading, I was astonished that in the last year, all of them seemed to have grown up! Suddenly we're all out of college, and working and making plans or ditching plans and promising never to make plans again. Slowly we're talking about dealing with stress, about how our professions suck/ rock, about how the outside world is affecting us and in all this there is a subtle but noticeable shift in our tone. It's more sober and reasonable and somehow a lot more mundane.

I guess the characters in my never-ending-novel grew up on me when I wasn't looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment